Dr. Jeffrey L. Walls
Profesor de Negocios, Senior Profesional en Recursos Humanos
College of Business
Office: Cunningham, Room 301
- Doctor of Education (1998), Concentration in Adult and Community Education, cognate specialization in Business Administration: Entrepreneurship, Ball State University
- MBA, Major in Finance (1986), University of Saint Francis
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Major in Marketing (1980), Indiana University
Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR). Completed and passed all certification requirements for the senior level of certification through the National Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) in June, 1994. Completed a recertification in June 1997. In February 2000, received the Certified Professional for Life designation.
- Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP). Completed all certification requirements for the senior level of certification. (Certification through 2024)
1989-Present: Professor of Business, Indiana Tech
- Senior faculty member within the College of Business, teaching Undergraduate and Graduate courses, within the traditional college setting, the accelerated degree programs, and within the online delivery program as well. Courses taught include Advertising, Business Ethics, Business Law, Entrepreneurship, Executive Management, Human Resource Management, International Management, International Marketing, Introduction to Business, Labor Relations, Management, Marketing, Organizational Behavior, Purchasing, Retailing, Salesmanship, and Strategic Planning. Serve as a faculty mentor for the freshman class, the advisor to the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, the advisor to the SHRM student organization, and a sponsor to a variety of student events. Promoted from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor in 1997 and to Full Professor with tenure in 1998. Served as the Chair of the Department of Business Administration for the 1998 and 1999 semesters.
- Consult on a regular basis with local organizations. Topics have included Entrepreneurship Development, Human Resource issues, Marketing Research project development, and Strategic Planning formulation.
1986-1989: Facilitator, Indiana Wesleyan University
- Facilitator for the LEAP Program (Leadership Education for Adult Professionals). Taught both graduate and undergraduate levels. Courses taught included Corporate Culture, Executive Management, Marketing, Organizational Behavior, and Personnel.
1981-1989: Manager of Building Services, North American Van Lines
- Responsible for the direction and management of the Cafeterias, Company Store, Fire Prevention, Janitorial Services, Pest Control, Security Services, Special Projects, and Supply Warehouse. Instituted a program in the first year to take the Janitorial and Security services from outside vendors to in–house employees. This program generated a first year savings of $250,000 which has been realized each year since. Wrote the procedures and job descriptions for each position in all areas of my responsibility. In addition, set up an ongoing training and cyclical review program. Responsibility for 84 people, with final decision authority for replacement hiring and reviewing. The nature of this position required daily interface with the executive staff, owner operators, and many city and county offices. Was the acting controller for a $2,000,000 annual budget and prepared all of the forecasts and analyzed the capital expenditures for the Facilities Division.
1977-1989: President, W & W Cleaning
- In 1977, began a cleaning and janitorial service, with a goal to pay for my college education. Accomplished this goal and the profits from this business also paid for my two brothers’ college education. Started with a box of business cards and made cold calls to sell my service. Performed all of the duties, including the cleaning, promotion, and bookkeeping as the business grew. Although this business is comparatively small it has developed into a very successful venture, expanding into real estate and property management. Currently my family members run the operations for this business.
- Developed and copyright protected The Program Planning Wheel, December, 1995.
- Presented a paper at the 1996 Midwest Research-To-Practice Conference at the University of Nebraska. The paper was co-authored with Peter Murk and published in the conference proceedings; title: The Program Planning Wheel–The Son of S.A.M.
- Co-authored a paper with Peter Murk, Juan Carlos Judikis, and German Cutz. This paper was presented by Peter Murk at the Sixth International Conference on Marketing and Development at Black Sea University, Mangalia, Romania, July 1-4, 1997. This paper was published in the conference proceedings; title: Program Planning Wheel: Value Added Performance.
- Presented two papers at the 1997 Association of Management and International Association of Management’s 15th annual conference, held in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Both papers were published in the conference proceedings. The titles of the papers are: The Adonna Brick Supply Company Case and Program Planning—A Successful Theory to Practice Approach. The program planning paper was co-authored with Dr. Peter Murk.
- Presented a paper at the 1997 AAACE conference: Program Planning the fifth ‘P.’ This paper was co-authored with Dr. Peter Murk.
- My dissertation, A Study of Faculty and Student Perceptions Regarding Cheating Behaviors at a Small Private College in Northeast Indiana, was published with UMI in 1998.
- Co-authored a paper with Peter Murk titled, The Planning Wheel: Dealing with Decisions and the Internal and External Forces. This paper was published in Economic Development Review, 1999, vol. 16 issue 2, p. 39-45.
- Presented a paper at the 2003 Fort Wayne College Dean’s Conference, held at IPFW. Topic: What Motivates College Students to Cheat. Invited back to present at the 2004 Conference on the same topic.
- Presented a paper at the 2005 Teaching Professor Conference, held in Schaumberg, IL. Topic: What Motivates College Students to Cheat.
- Invited Presenter at the 2006 Teaching Professor Conference, held in Nashville, TN. Topic: What Motivates College Students to Cheat.
- Invited Presenter to the faculty of IPFW, February, 2008. Topic: What Motivates College Students to Cheat.
- Invited Presenter to the 2011 SHRM National Conference: Presented a session on HR Trends, with Dr. Ken Rauch, during the Student Conference Faculty Track.
- Invited Panel Member to the 2012 North Central SHRM Student Conference, held at Michigan State. Topic: Hot Topics in HR.
- Invited Moderator to the NIHRA 2012 Conference. Topic: Best Practices in HR.
- Invited Keynote Presenter, Indiana University, Bloomington. Topic: Are you Interview Ready?” September 2012.
- Invited Moderator to the NIHRA 2013 Conference.
- Invited Keynote Presenter, 125th Geological Society Convention, Denver, CO. Topic: Are you Interview Ready?” October, 2013.
- Invited Moderator to the NIHRA 2014 Conference.
- Invited Moderator to the NIHRA 2016 Conference.
- Invited Moderator to the NIHRA 2017 Conference.
- Selected by Indiana Tech’s President to deliver the Distinguished Faculty Lecture event as a key component of the “Inauguration Week.” (December, 2017)
- Invited by SHRM to be a Scenario/Question writer for the SHRM certification exams, June 2018.
- Committee Chair for Jason Cutter (successful defense): Correlation of Leader-Follower Interaction and Organizational Commitment in a Multi-National Aviation Organization (April 2019)
- Committee Chair for Kim LaComba (successful defense): The Experiences of College Students’ Degree Choice Regarding Passion and Leaving Certification Exam Scores in the Republic of Ireland: Future Global Leaders (April 2019)
- Committee Chair for Jerry Udoh (successful defense): The Impact of Organizational Culture on the Global Mindset: A Study of Nigerian Corporate Leaders (August 2017)
- Committee Chair for Robert Thompson (successful defense): An Exploration of the Lived-Experiences of Leaders in Construction-Related Companies: Strategic Decisions and Innovation in the United States and Switzerland (August 2017)
- Committee Chair for Rondell Jackson (successful defense): Pre-crisis leadership: An Exploration of Crisis Prevention for Leaders Within National Organizations in Zimbabwe (June 2017)
- Committee Chair for Abdulmumin Ajia (successful defense): Examining the Impact of Transformational Leadership and Perceived Leadership Effectiveness on Follower Outcomes Among Nigerian Government Employees (August 2017)
- Committee Chair for Jehu Chong (successful defense): Workplace Longevity and the Lived Experiences of Senior Leaders’ Perceptions of Millennial Job Satisfaction: A Multigenerational Study of the Dutch Caribbean Financial Sector (July 2017)
- Committee Chair for Angelique Mayo (successful defense): A Comparative Analysis: Examining the Learning Styles of American and Chinese Business Students for Academic Achievement in Transnational Education (April 2017)
- Committee Chair for Robert Massaro (successful defense): Authentic Leadership Effects on Employee Morale in an Organization Undergoing Divestiture (May 2016)
- Committee Chair for Joyce Parks (successful defense): Preparing Global Citizens for the 21st Century: Examining the Intercultural Competence of Study Abroad Students (April 2015)
- Committee Chair for Lorenzo Claxton (successful defense): A Case Study Exploring the Lived Experiences of American Military Expatriate Leaders’ Adjustment to Complexity Environments in South Korea (March 2015)
- Committee Chair for Kim Parcher (successful defense): Servant Leadership, Culture and a Quantitative Study: Introducing a Multiple-leader Model (March 2014)
- Committee Chair for LeAnn Brown (successful defense): The Experiences and Perceptions of Leader-Managers: A Human Resources Study on Leader-Manager Selection, Development, and Practices in State-Owned enterprises in China (April 2012)
- Committee Chair for Crystal Karn (successful defense): The Value of Servant Leadership on Private Midwestern Universities Admission Teams Performance (April 2012)
Dissertations (Committee Member):
- Committee Member for Todd Wilson (successful defense): A Case Study of Exploration into the Transformational Leadership Styles of Global Senior Leaders in the Medical Device Industry in the Context of Organizational Change (July, 2018)
- Committee Member for Angel Baez Vega (successful defense): The Lived Experiences of Latina Women IT Leaders in Global Organizations Exploring Their Stories on Sensitivity and Trust (October, 2017)
- Committee Member for Kalvin Harvell (successful defense): An Exploration of Race and Global Leadership: Engineering the Call to Serve (October, 2016)
- Committee Member for Matthew Lebeck (successful defense): Mentoring Programs in China: Factors for Success (September, 2016)
- Committee Member for Tim Iorio (successful defense): The Relationship Between Indian Transformational Leadership and the job satisfaction of Indian Followers (December, 2015)
- Committee Member for Frank Banfill (successful defense): Multiple Case Studies in Effective Africa Leadership: A Study of the Leadership Behaviors of Effective Local Church Pastors in the African Inland Church Tanzania Mara and Ukerewe Diocese (October, 2015)
- Committee Member for Colleen Hickman (successful defense): An Exploration of How Women Managers in Turkey Develop as Leader Amid Cultural and Enterprise Constraints (May, 2015)
- Committee Member for Thomas Hunt (successful defense): Cultural Intelligence and Leader-Member Exchange in North American Health Information Management Professionals (January, 2015)
- Committee Member for Kurt Bender (successful defense): Cultural Intelligence and its Relationship with Key Project Manager Competencies (April, 2014)
- Committee Member for Reginald Ramsey (successful defense): Correlative Study of Emotional Intelligence and the Career Intentions of First-Year School of Business Students (September, 2013)
- 2018: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 2016: Named Classroom: “Dr. Jeff Walls Classroom”
- 2014: The 25-Year Award: Indiana Tech
- 2013: NSBE (National Society of Black Engineers) Cufflinks Award
- 2011: SHRM National Faculty Advisor of the Year
- 2010: HR Games Advisor to the Championship Team
- 2010: Faculty of the Year
- 2009: HR Games Advisor to the Championship Team
- 2009: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 2008: HR Games Advisor to the Championship Team
- 2008: President’s Spirit Award
- 2008: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 2007: Business Faculty of the Year
- 2007: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 2006: Faculty of the Year
- 2006: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 2005: Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- 2004: Professor of the Year
- 2003: Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- 2002: Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- 2001: President’s Distinguished Service Award to the MBA
- 2001: Intergreek Professor of the Year
- 2001: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 2000: Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- 2000: Sigma Phi Epsilon Professor of the Year
- 1999: President’s Distinguished Service Award
- 1998: President’s Distinguished Service Award
- 1997: Kekionga Feather Award
- 1996: Outstanding Professor and Mentor Award from the SHRM
- 1996: President’s Outstanding Leadership Award
- 1995: Who’s Who in the World
- 1994: President’s Distinguished Service Award
- 1993–1994: Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities
- 1993–1994: Grantsmanship Award
- 1993–1994: Intergreek Council Professor of the Year
- 1993: Summer Course Development Grant: Lilly Endowment, Inc.
- 1992: First Place Sponsoring Instructor for the McGraw–Hill National Essay Contest
- 1991–1992: Intergreek Council Professor of the Year
- 1989–1990: Sigma Phi Epsilon Teacher of the Year
- 1989–1990: Kekionga Feather Award
- 1989–1990: President’s Distinguished Service Award
- Leadership Positions at Indiana Tech
- Elected faculty representative to the Board of Trustees—2012-2015
- Elected faculty representative to the Board of Trustees—2010-2012
- Elected member of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee—2008-2010
- Member of the Graduate Council (current)
- Chair of the Tenure and Promotions Committee, 2003-2005
- Chair of the Committee of Academics, 2002-2003
- Chair of the Department of Business Administration, 1998-1999
- Co-Chair: MBA Policy Review Committee, 1998
- Chair of the Business Department curriculum review committee to develop standardized master syllabi for key courses in the business curriculum, 1996-97
- Faculty Representative to the Board of Trustees, 1996
- Chair of the Human Resources Staff committee for the 1995 North Central review
- Chair of the curriculum development committee for the major: Quality Control
- SHRM Founding Student Chapter Faculty Advisor 1995.
- Co–Chair of the Assessment Committee (1993)
- Co–Founder and Director: TWIST Annual Golf Tournament (1990 to present)
- Freshman Faculty Mentor (1990 to present)
- Intergreek Council Faculty Advisor
- Vice Chair of the College Assembly for the 1992–93, 93–94, and 99-00 sessions